As I mentioned yesterday, I worked on a little DIY project Sunday afternoon. I'm not really sure what inspired this, except my love for organization and wanting a little more desk organization at work. I've seen several cute desktop organizers lately and really wanted to get one, but living on a grad school budget, such a purchase would be frivolous, especially since I already had all the materials I would need to make one for free at home!
1. Gather supplies - cardboard box, tape, scissors and design paper. I already had one box but grabbed another one when I was shopping at ALDI the other day to make sure I had enough.
2. Grab a beverage (normally this would be coffee, but this time I went with hot chocolate) and some form of entertainment (I naturally chose Gilmore Girls).
3. Cut the box to desired size. I used the whole length of the shorter side of the box and folded up the cut off side to create the fourth side.
4. Tape all around the outside of the new box to secure.
5. Select your design paper to cover the box.
6. Cover the box to hide the cardboard.
7. Cut smaller pieces of cardboard to use as dividers & cover with design paper.
8. Secure the dividers in the finished box with tape.
And that's it! Pretty easy. Not the best looking thing I've ever made, but I like it and it fits perfectly on my desk at work.
What DIY projects have you worked on lately?